Tuesday, 27 April 2010

What defines me?

I was trying to update my profile the other day and was struggling to describe myself. My first thought was to say "I'm a mum and a wife". But I thought, no! thats too boring. I must have an identity of my own??

But then I started thinking about it. What's the alternative?  We usually introduce ourselves by saying what we do - I'm a teacher, I'm a lawyer, I'm a truck driver.

So what would I say? I'm an internal communications adviser.  I'm a public servant. But that's not who I am. That's just the last job I had. Why should my employer define who I am?

No. I'm a mummy. I'm a wife. I'm a daughter, a daughter-in-law, a sister, a friend.

I choose to be defined by my relationships. By love.

What could be better than basing my identity on those I love?

But I haven't mentioned the most important relationship of all. I am a daughter of God.



















Here's me with the whanau. They make me who I am!


No comments:

Post a Comment